Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Spicy Carrot Cake (egg, and nut free**)




This is such a delicious egg free cake recipe. I have made it sooooo many times already and everyone loves it. In fact because it is so delicious and I have no self  control this cake has been relegated to special occasion only (that is occasions when I will have to share it between lots of family snd friends) or else I would eat it all by my self and that is just not going to make my already tortured-stretched to within an inch of their lives-pants happy.



**The actual carrot cake recipe is dairy free however because we dont have any dairy allergies in the family I use a cream cheese icing (pictured) and this is NOT dairy free.

Spicy carrot cake
Linda Bosnic


Ingredients:

Dry
2 cups self raising flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon nutmeg
½ cup caster sugar
1 medium carrot, grated

Wet
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup soy milk


Preheat oven to 180˚ Celsius and grease and line a 20cm cake tin with non-stick baking paper.

Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl

Make a well in the centre of dry ingredients and add wet ingredients

Mix together until they form a batter (not too much mixing)

Pour into prepared cake tin and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into cake comes out clean.

Cool in cake tin for 10 minutes before turning out onto wire rack.

Icing:
For some reason icing has never been my friend and I have struggled to make decent icing more so than egg free cakes. Possibly one of the reasons is that I never measure things out, I think all my measuring patience is used up in the cake baking process and by the time I get to the icing I’m really just throwing anything together.

This sortof not really a recipe works well for this cake though and so far it hasn’t failed me.

Ingredients:
1 block of philidelphia Cheese (cut into smaller chunks-hmmm nice technical term)
Icing sugar
Lemon juice

Place Philidelphia cheese in a mixing bowl and mix on medium to high until cheese is soft (be careful not to over mix as I have found this makes the cheese runny and no amount of icing sugar of refridgeration will fix this, at least that’s what I found)
Add icing and lemon juice to taste an continue mixing until soft peaks form. 


No comments: