Sunday, September 12, 2010

Egg free, Nut free, Dairy free Banana Bread

This recipe also has the added bonus of being *fat free* for those who are interested in counting their calories that is.

I am not a particularly good cook (though I desperately wish I was), never clean as i go, tend to use almost every utensil in the house and more often than I would like to admit have to add as I serve "If it's really bad we can have toast."

We eat a lot of toast.

However I LOVE cookbooks, LOVE reading food blogs and watching any sort of cooking show. It's just obviously never really absorbed......
My son also has Egg and Nut allergies and I'm always scouring for new egg free, nut free recipes.
So in the interest of giving back I thought I would share a few of our families favourite recipes.


This Banana Bread recipe is super easy, so easy you can complete the entire process with a babe in arms and a toddler dangling precariously from the furniture and still end up with something edible (but a rather disastrously messy kitchen).  I did attempt to photograph the process as that's really the best part about reading a recipe but the photos I took somehow managed to make the most basic recipe really ugly and could possibly turn you off an otherwise delicious dish.


It does look a little sad I know but I also forgot to take a photo once it came out of the oven,  we were all too eager to eat it.

Banana Bread


Ingredients:


5 or 6 large Bananas
2 cups plain flour
1 cup of caster sugar *see note
1 Teaspoon Baking powder
1 Teaspoon Baking soda
Cinnamon to taste (we use a lot)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence

Method


Preheat oven to 180C.

Prepare small loaf tin.

Mash bananas, sugar and vanilla essence in a large bowl until quite liquidy (i don't think thats a real word) sift in remaining ingredients, mix until well combined pour into prepared loaf pan. Place in preheated oven and cook for 1 hour.
Enjoy!

*note: I have a hugely sweet tooth and would never normally say no to sugar but I normally only add about a half to 3/4 cup of sugar.

This recipe was given to me by my Sister-in-law. I'm not sure of it's original source. 

No comments: